Search This Blog

Monday, July 21, 2014

Curbing-My-Carb-Cravings Cornbread

My husband and I recently got back from an amazing trip up to the mountains near Grand Lake, CO, and after days filled with sandwiches, chips and ice-cream and nights filled with burgers, pasta salad, and s'mores, we have both decided that

we need to stick to salads for a bit.

And while I love building salads with all types of ingredients, I knew that I would want something else to go along with it to recover from our carb and sugar-filled weekend.

Soooo...I went searching into the cabinets and found some cornmeal and decided on some cornbread. It's versatile and successfully curbed my carb cravings...and after seeing my daughter devour the blueberry cornbread at our favorite breakfast place, I knew she would love it, too.

Now, this isn't super sweet cornbread (although, in the morning, I did enjoy it with some of my favorite strawberry jelly!), so if you want it sweeter, try doubling the maple syrup.

Also, just like I mentioned with my Polenta recipe, make sure your corn products are GMO-free and organic!


Serves: 12
(the recipe below is one that I doubled and adapted off of the Bob's Red Mill Cornmeal bag)

Ingredients:

2c organic cornmeal
1c bread flour
1c whole wheat flour
1tsp salt
1tbsp baking powder
2 eggs (beaten)
2c milk
1/3c butter
4tbsp maple syrup
2c organic frozen corn (defrosted)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 425F.

2. Combine the dry ingredients (cornmeal, flours, salt, baking powder) into a large bowl.

3. In another bowl, quickly combine together the egg, milk, butter and maple syrup.

4. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry in the large bowl, mixing well for about a minute.

5. Stir in the defrosted frozen corn and then pour all of it in a large pan (I used a 9x12) and bake for 25 minutes or until the top has a nice brownish hint to it.

6. Let cool slightly before cutting, but serve warm and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment