Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Rice Bowl

Admittedly, when I started this recipe, I was pretty excited for some tacos, but as I found myself peering into the slow-cooker, breathing in the sweet and spicy aromas, I noticed that things still had a bit more liquid than I had anticipated, and knowing that we had some rice on hand, I swiftly moved directions and decided to make a rice bowl instead. And, boy, am I (and my husband!) happy with that switch!
Rice Bowl 
While perusing the web for a new recipe that I could use my Pressure-Cooker Black Beans in, I came across Kalyn's Kitchen and her recipe for Slow-Cooker Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos, and I remembered that I absolutely love the mixture of sweet potatoes and black beans.


Traditionally, this is a mixture that I only enjoy in the winter, though, when I make my favorite chile that is a combination of two recipes found in Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson. I like to combine the "Spicy Black Bean Chili" with "Chipotle-Kissed Red Bean and Sweet Potato Chili," using black beans, peppers, onions, and of course the chipotle chiles in adobo sauce. And here I put a third layer in this combination with the Kalyn's Kitchen recipe as well! I especially like her addition of the cumin, coriander and green chiles.

If you'd like to make this just a burrito filling, though, I'd recommend cutting the vegetable stock in half.

2-3 small/medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2c black beans
1 small yellow onion, sliced
2-3 small/medium bell peppers (red or yellow are my favorites to use)
1 garlic clove, minced
1tbsp chile powder
1tsp ground coriander
1.5tsp ground cumin
1tbsp minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, or to taste
1/2c green chiles
Salt and ground pepper to taste
1c vegetable stock
2tbsp fresh lime juice
Olive oil
Cooked rice (to serve on)

During my baby's first nap, I was able to
get some of the prep work done!
1. Sauté the garlic, chile powder, coriander, cumin and yellow onion in some olive oil. Then add the bell peppers and cook until all are slightly soft, vibrant in color, and fragrant. Add the vegetable stock and mix until the spices are mixed into the liquid. Add mixture to the slow cooker.

2.  Add the minced chipotle and green chiles, then the sweet potatoes and beans and mix until everything is well-combined.

3. Set the slow-cooker to LOW for at least 3 hours, or until the potatoes are preferred tenderness. Season with salt and pepper.

4. Serve the sweet potato and black bean mixture on some warm rice. (My husband added even a bit more chile sauce, although I think it was spicy enough already).

No comments:

Post a Comment