Search This Blog

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Sweet Potato Black Bean Burger

A good veggie burger goes a loooooong way for me. Sitting down at a restaurant and seeing that they make their very own veggie burger, I am secretly thrilled, and you can bet I'm going to be trying it.

And finding tasty recipes for veggie burgers is equally exciting. Since this blog is still relatively new, I haven't posted any veggie burgers yet, but I'm hoping
to get my black bean and beet burgers on here soon.

Yet, before I went back to the recipes I have already done, I stumbled across a recipe for a Sweet Potato Black Bean Burger by Cookie + Kate. I was especially excited, because I had already made black beans and baked some sweet potatoes and the filler called for millet, which I also had on hand! (Although, if you don't have millet, I'm sure that quinoa or even some rice would work just as well.)

Serving my burger open-faced, I smeared the top of the bun with some leftover Avocado Creme and it was delicious. My daughter devoured hers as well...which was a pleasant surprise since she has been quite picky recently, choosing pasta, bread, and crackers over anything vegetable or protein.

I followed the recipe pretty closely, but I'm still going to list my directions below, because there were some minor changes. Unfortunately, I devoured my burger before getting a picture, but this made enough for me to freeze, so I am also going to try and see how this goes on the grill next time, so I'll update soon. Hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:

3-4 small/medium sweet potatoes (baked in oven until soft)
1c cooked millet (about 1/2c uncooked)
1c old fashioned oats
2c cooked black beans (rinsed)
1/2 small yellow onion
2tsp cumin
2tsp chili powder
1tsp smoked paprika
1tsp salt
1/2tsp cayenne
Safflower oil
Hamburger buns
Favorite burger fixings (I especially liked the Avocado Creme, but tomatoes, lettuce, mustard, ketchup, relish, etc.)


Directions:

1. Grind the oats in a food processor or blender until the flakes are broken down, but before you get a full flour consistency.

2. Take the skins off of the sweet potatoes and combine them in a mixer with the millet, black beans, onion, cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, and cayenne until all spices and ingredients are well-combined.

3. Add the ground oats, mixing with a spatula until the mixture holds together. Feel free to add more, if you feel it needs it.

4. Cover and refrigerate overnight, if possible. This will help them hold together a tad more and marinade the flavor, too. If you don't have time on your side, continue on, although even a short stint of 20 minutes in the fridge may make the next step easier.

5. Shape the burgers into medium-sized patties or however big you would like!

6. Pan fry the burgers by heating some safflower oil in a pan over medium heat. Place several burgers in the pan and let cook for about 4-5 minutes. Flip and repeat.

7. Dress up your burger any way you please, and enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment