Search This Blog

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Avocado Creme

Tacos, burritos, fajitas and hybrids of all of these are probably a meal we do at least once a week in our house.
Sometimes we have corn or flour tortillas, and sometimes we do salads with the last remnants of a chip bag as the "taco" shell crunch. Sometimes we use tofu, sometimes black beans, sometimes sautéed onions and peppers, sometimes all of these together. My husband will sometimes add leftover grilled chicken or steak or even ground beef, and we usually try and top our creations with salsa, sour cream and some guacamole. But I recently tried a new topping that I absolutely loved: avocado creme.


I adapted this recipe from Love and Lemons's, Avocado Cashew Creme, deciding to use Greek yogurt instead of the cashews and adding some pickled jalapeños just to save time. (PS. I also did the full Grilled Tofu Tacos that you'll see on that page (the marinade is one I'm sure I'll do again!) and the red cabbage slaw (also on the page) I have already made twice since trying the tacos).

Some benefits of this Avocado Creme is that it lasts longer than guacamole, which usually turns brown and watery (yuck!) after a day in the fridge. This instead remained creamy and actually picked up more of the lime flavor as it sat. It also traveled well with left-over lunches, too, as I used it as my "salad dressing" for a mini taco salad the next day for lunch.

This was so easy, and I could see there being many uses for this, so just needed to post! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Ingredients:

1c plain Greek yogurt
splash of white wine vinegar
juice of 1 lime
1 medium avocado
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
salt to taste
1-2tsp of honey (or agave) -- optional
3-5 pickled jalapeños -- optional

Directions: 

1. Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend until well-mixed. Feel free to taste and adjust by adding more garlic, salt, honey or jalapeños, depending on your taste preferences.

2. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve. Like I said above, the flavors seemed to get more intense as it sat, so if you can make this ahead of time, it's definitely worth it.




No comments:

Post a Comment