. I decided on a hybrid of this recipe from Oh She Glows and the one she used from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen, although I didn't keep it vegan...oops! Hope you enjoy :)
1.5 lbs fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
10 oz button mushrooms, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
salt and pepper
generous pinch of cayenne pepper
2tbsp of whole wheat flour
3/4c veggie broth
3 pieces of whole wheat bread, toasted
- Boil water in a large pot and drop in the beans. Cook for 6-8 minutes. Drain beans.
- Put some olive oil in a pan. Add minced garlic and onion. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are very soft and exude their juices.
- Whisk the flour into the vegetable broth and add to the mushrooms and onion mixture. Simmer, stirring, until mixture thickens.
- Add the milk and simmer until thick, about 5-10 minutes. Taste, adjust the seasonings, and stir in the beans.
- Put the bread, butter, salt, and pepper into a food processor and pulse until crumbly.
- Place the green beans into an oiled casserole dish and top with the bread and butter crumbles.
- Bake at 350 F for about 20-5 minutes.
- I served with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.